Issue 14 |

by on October 5, 2019

From: LIKE [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:08 AM
To: Mercury [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: Job transfer

Hello Mercury,

I’m writing to request a job transfer. But let me preface that request by saying that I am grateful to have a job here. I realize that a lot of words are out of work these days. I know that it has been hard for you to watch the average English vocabulary shrink, and I know that you’ve had to make some tough calls about which words you could keep on staff. So I’m thankful to still be here.

But the reduction in personnel is what’s making my job so much more difficult than it used to be. I was already overworked when I was involved with four different departments at the same time. Then my job description expanded to include the Conjunction Department. And now the guys from Interjection are unofficially dumping work on me too. Frankly, this is getting ridiculous.

I can appreciate that we are radically under-staffed right now. I understand that with such a limited budget, we couldn’t afford to keep contractors like PERISTERONIC and UMBRAGEOUS on the payroll. And I know that there is no room for redundancy: we couldn’t pay ROBORATIVE to do the same job that RESTORATIVE was already doing. But if the total workload is going to increase indefinitely while the personnel decreases, I think that eventually my job is going to be too stressful for me to sustain.

Respectfully,

From: Mercury [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 3:16 PM
To: LIKE [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: RE: Job transfer

Hi LIKE,

Sorry that it’s taken me a while to get back to you. They’re renovating the third floor right now and contractors have been ripping out the old stone fireplace in my office and replacing it with a space heater. So my work schedule has been kind of topsy-turvy.

I hear what you are saying about the stress of your job. But you need to understand that the economy is beyond my control. I don’t get to decide what the market for working words will be; I just respond to the demand. And right now the semantic job market is very weak.

I wish we could pretend that it was the heyday of wordsmithing around here, but it’s not. I wish people were still willing to pay top dollar for the perfectly apt verb, or spend an entire minute searching for the best possible noun. But that’s not the name of the game these days. Precision, lucid expression, and brilliant flights of semantic imagination are not in high demand right now, and I’ve had to lay off a lot of good folks because of it. People don’t want a variety of options from us anymore. They aren’t interested in freshly coined material. They want familiar words, stock phrases, pre-fabricated sentence structure, well-worn semantic ruts. They want quick, “close enough” solutions.

Meanwhile, the demand for raw output is higher than ever, and our company has to churn out even more verbiage than before to keep up. But no one knows that better than you, right? You’re one of our most in-demand contractors right now. Didn’t I hear that a thirteen-year-old child deployed you seventeen times in a single minute yesterday? He used you five times before he even got to the verb, right? So I’m sure that you of all words can appreciate the sheer quantity that we are expected to provide. And because of that, I have to ask: if I give you a transfer, who’s going to pick up the slack?

Best,
Mercury

From: LIKE [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:23 AM
To: Mercury [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: RE:RE: Job transfer

Hello Mercury,

Thanks for your reply. I guess my central concern is not really the workload, though that’s certainly one of my frustrations. My biggest worry is that we, as a company, ought to be assessing the value of our end product and not just racing thoughtlessly to keep up with demand.

You’ve seen how much overtime I will gladly put into a worthwhile contract. I happily work time-and-a-half for a truly sweeping Homeric simile. That’s the kind of project that I joined the company to do so many years ago. When I interviewed, you told me that yes, I would have to do my fair share of hack work, but that I would also have lots of opportunities to collaborate on real rhetorical masterpieces.

But when was the last time I built a truly profound comparison? At the moment, I feel as though all of my projects are just semantic padding. I’m working twelve-hour days, and for what? For people who are too timid to wield a metaphor. I wouldn’t even mind so much if the projects were insipid similes. But now I spend all my time slaving for people who are just shying away from direct communication entirely. I’m coming in to the office on weekends, I’ve got no social life, and it’s all so that I can be verbal styrofoam peanuts between human beings and reality.

Let me give you an example that’s sitting on the top of my inbox. It was a sentence from the mouth of a fifth-grader who was answering a question in class: “Irate…that’s like when you get really mad at someone, right?” I’m just insulation foam in that sentence, padding the kid from definitive meaning. She used me to water down a declarative statement into a squishy pseudo-analogy…in the form of a question!

It gets worse. Here’s one from last week. “So, like, are you going to see Stephanie today?” What kind of contribution am I making there, exactly? Why did I even have to show up to that project? Apparently I’m just a cheap substitute for “um”. I didn’t get into this business to be a meaningless vocable. If I’m going to stoop that low, I might as well join COME and DO and get a second job in the red light district.

In frustration,

From: Mercury [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:02 AM
To: LIKE [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: RE:RE:RE: Job transfer

Hi LIKE,

Again, sorry for the delay. I think you heard about the identity-theft lawsuit that NAUSEATED is threatening against one of our current employees, NAUSEOUS. We were in legal mediation all day yesterday and I didn’t have time to deal with my e-mails.

Let’s not bring references to the red light district into company e-mails, okay? It’s bad enough that half the English language seems to be working there these days; I don’t need to be reminded about it at work.

With regard to your point: it’s easy to be zealous about quality control, but what kind of end value is our product going to have if the company goes under completely? I wish we could swim harder against the tide of consumer demand, but if we obsess so much about quality that we bankrupt ourselves, then our competitors are going to be the sole visionaries shaping the next generation of rhetoric.

So we’re adapting as best we can. And I don’t mean to downplay the strain that this is putting on you, but frankly, some of our other words have had to make even bigger sacrifices. Take AWESOME, for instance. You think his work environment hasn’t changed? I have to talk him down from the ledge once a week. He’s so fed up with it. It used to be nothing but seraphs and glaciers and tsunami for him, and now he has to go to work every time someone finds an extra peanut M&M in their bag. And did you know that LITERALLY is actually in therapy these days? All those years he spent honing one meaning, and now the poor guy has to go and completely reverse all the work himself. It’s really done a number on him. He’s taking medication for schizophrenic episodes.

If you want some advice on how to get through a tough transition period like this, try talking to HOPEFULLY. When his job description expanded, he could have played the wounded prima donna and tried to correct everyone’s usage. He could have screeched, “what does this idiot mean, ‘Hopefully, I will get the septic tank drained today’? How does an afternoon spent knee deep in sewage fill him with hope?” But he didn’t. He just quietly adapted to the new situation, and now he’s completely at home with it.

Best,
Mercury

84 Responses to “If English words had jobs”

1. This was, like, awesome, Chris! Hopefully they’ll publish more of your stuff. I get literally nauseated when people use words bad.

2. Faraon23

Hi all. If you are in need of paramedics at events, I know who can help you. Valhalla Medics provides services at events of all sizes, from small family events to large sporting events https://valhallamedics.com/why-choose-sport-paramedic-from-valhalla-medics-for-your-events/ . The company also offers a personalized approach to each event to ensure maximum efficiency and safety. I hope I was able to help someone.

3. First of all, thank you for your post. totosite Your posts are neatly organized with the information I want, so there are plenty of resources to reference. I bookmark this site and will find your posts frequently in the future. Thanks again ^^

4. Abamenko Petro

I was struggling to keep up with my academic workload when I found https://ca.essaypro.com/ . The platform offers a range of writing services, from essays to more complex research papers, and the quality of the work is exceptional. Their team of professional writers has been a game-changer, allowing me to focus on other tasks while they take care of my writing needs. Highly recommended for anyone in need of academic support.

5. If English words had jobs, the word “barrier” would certainly be a strong contender for a role in describing the protective qualities of an ASTM Level 3 mask. The word “barrier” is often used in reference to objects or substances that serve as a block or shield against unwanted elements, much like the high-density filter middle layer of an ASTM Level 3 mask. In fact, the use of precise and descriptive language, such as the word “barrier,” is crucial in fields such as healthcare where effective communication can make all the difference in ensuring the proper use and efficacy of protective equipment like the ASTM Level 3 mask.

6. dsfsdfsd

7. Tina Cooper

If you belong to asian speaking community, there is no sense to seach for caregivers outside your surrounding. The perfect option woul be if you could find a care giver that speks both English and your asian language. Caregiver of asian origin wil provide proper care according to your culture preferences and will beter understand the needs of careseacker. Do you still wonder wher to find asian caregiver in Canada? Look no further than https://www.asiancaregivers.ca/

8. Speciality chemical manufacturer fine and Speciality Chemical, in the strictest sense of the word, are products that are sold on the basis of their performance or function and not their composition. They can be single-chemical compounds that have a significant impact on the product’s performance and processing.

9. Amber Foster

Optimising websites visability and web applications for clients, including designing user interfaces, coding webpages, and integrating backend functionality. Web development may also involve e-commerce solutions, content management systems, and search engine optimization. At https://webugol.com/ we specalise on SEO, Google Ads and social web campaigns. Feel free to contact us, we’ll be glad to help.

10. Sinya Hart

I wanted to share my incredible experience with managing joint pain, specifically how the N-Stride injections at Lody Health Clinic has transformed my life. As someone who has struggled with joint pain for years, I had tried various treatments and remedies with limited success. However, after undergoing the N-Stride injection therapy at Lody Health Clinic, I am delighted to say that my joint pain has significantly improved.

11. … [Trackback]

[…] Read More on on that Topic: unravellingmag.com/articles/if-english-words-had-jobs/ […]

12. If English words had jobs, “Synchronize” would be a timekeeper, “Illuminate” an electrician, and “Navigate” a GPS guide. Words at work! 🕰️💡🗺️

13. This blog is very informative and also if you wants more information on then this sources is really helpful.

14. That’s true nowadays English has become more complicated, there are so many words that have the same meaning but it’s hard to remember them all. This is one of the reasons students suffer a lot because they have to write an essay daily and it’s tough to use different vocabulary and make a unique essay. Hence they found it easy to avail of Essay Writing Help to reduce their study load and can submit a well-written essay daily.

15. It is so interesting I was searching for this topic for a long time. I read this article very carefully and now I got all my best information for writing a blog on medical equipment. I am so glad that I finally find a blog resemblance to my topic. Thanks for this.

16. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further post thanks once again.

17. I dont know english words are kind of lame.

18. Great Article

19. This blog is very informative and also if you wants more information rare cow

20. SMM World

Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post . SMM Panel

21. mikerooney179

This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Yellowstone Merch

22. mikerooney179

Excellent article. The writing style which you have used in this article is very good and it made the article of better quality.
    Freddie Mercury Yellow Jacket

23. Ariful Islam

This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it.
    Cheapest SMM Panel India

24. james joseph

Struggling with your Assignment Help in Kuwait? 📚 Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Our team of expert tutors can help you ace that assignment with ease. Let’s chat and get those grades soaring!

25. If you’re in need of forklift rental services in the USA, we’ve got you covered. Our reliable and efficient forklift rental service are designed to meet your specific needs. Discover the convenience of our top-notch forklift solutions today!

26. Are you trying to pass CompTIA exam PK0-005 Certification dumps with your own hands? Then you’re in the right place. Here you’ll find all the necessary preparation materials for passing PK0-005 on your first attempt. Whether you are just a student looking for some practice exams or an actual CompTIA Project+ Certification Exam certification holder looking for some exam simulation questions, this PK0-005 certification material will help you get all the confidence needed to succeed in exam.
    CompTIA PK0-005 dumps

27. … [Trackback]

[…] Info to that Topic: unravellingmag.com/articles/if-english-words-had-jobs/ […]

28. Thank you for providing this valuable information. I thoroughly appreciate your great post. Your blog post is both educational and intriguing.

29. Nj Marketing, your trusted partner for content marketing services in canada. We specialize in crafting compelling content that drives engagement and boosts your brand’s online presence. Our experienced team leverages the latest trends and techniques to deliver results that matter. Whether it’s blog posts, social media content, or SEO-optimized articles, we tailor our services to meet your unique needs. Let Nj Marketing elevate your content marketing strategy and help you stand out in the competitive landscape. Contact us today for unparalleled content marketing services in Canada.

30. anthony clerk

Order Dissertation means to request a custom dissertation from a professional writing service. Students can order a dissertation tailored to their research topic and academic requirements, ensuring a well-researched and well-written document for their academic endeavors.

31. Absolutely, imagining if English words had jobs would be fascinating! I can picture “Verb” as a fitness trainer, always on the move https://drleonardplasticsurgery.ae/, and “Adjective” as a fashion critic, adding flair to descriptions. “Noun” could be a detective, identifying things, while “Preposition” acts as a bridge connecting ideas. The creativity in assigning roles to words would definitely be amusing, showcasing the dynamic nature of language. Great topic for contemplation!

32. The first Super Mario game, called “Super Mario Bros.,” was released in 1985 for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) console. Since then, the franchise has expanded to include numerous sequels, spin-offs, and remakes across different gaming platforms.

33. If English words had jobs, “Obesity Treatment Dubai” would be the vigilant guardian ensuring wellness in the bustling cityscape. Its role would be pivotal in promoting health and well-being, offering vital support and guidance to those seeking a healthier lifestyle. Just as each word contributes to the richness of language, this service contributes to the Obesity treatment Dubai playing a vital role in the well-being of the community.

34. NJ Soft Lab is a cutting-edge digital marketing agency at the forefront of innovative strategies. Specializing in comprehensive digital marketing services we leverage our expertise to propel businesses to new heights. Our dedicated team crafts tailored solutions, utilizing the latest technologies and trends to enhance online visibility and drive results. At NJ Soft Lab, we are committed to delivering excellence, blending creativity with data-driven insights. As a trusted digital marketing agency, we empower clients across industries to achieve their goals, from brand awareness to lead generation. Choose NJ Soft Lab for a dynamic partner in navigating the evolving landscape of digital marketing services.

35. Nice Explanation Interesting read very helpful for me keep posting like this thanks !!

36. Explore the whimsical world of “If English words had jobs” on our SEO forum. Imagine verbs clocking in and adjectives on assignment! Join the linguistic fun as we discuss the curious careers of words. Looking for style? Dive into the trendy realm of NFL Buffalo Bills Letterman Varsity Jackets. Uncover the latest fashion trends and where to snag the coolest jackets for Bills fans. Join the conversation now!

37. Gerald Reed

Imaginer si les mots anglais avaient des emplois est une perspective créative ! En parlant de créativité, pourquoi ne pas explorer des jeux de plinko sur un casino en ligne ? C’est une manière amusante de laisser libre cours à votre imagination tout en profitant d’un divertissement unique. Essayez le plinko et ajoutez une dose de plaisir à votre journée !

38. Thank you for sharing such great thoughts.

39. Nice Explanation Interesting read very helpful for me keep posting like this thanks !!

40. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

41. Nice post thank you for posting something like this keep up the good work

42. I read your new stuff on a regular basis. Your writing style is awesome, keep doing what you’re doing. You can visit our website at any time.

43. I value the blog article. Really Great.

44. Embracing the beauty of serendipity can turn unexpected moments into delightful surprises, adding a touch of magic to our everyday lives.

45. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion STARTER KIT BUNDLE that you are right about many of them.

46. … [Trackback]

[…] Find More Information here to that Topic: unravellingmag.com/articles/if-english-words-had-jobs/ […]

47. Nice I read This Article Many Information Thanks For Shering Us.

48. Nice Blog Bro I inspired for u So keep it up.

49. Great post bro i like it thanks for information.

50. SKANS Accountant is a trusted name in financial services, specializing in providing exemplary personal tax accountants in Markham . With a dedicated team of seasoned professionals, we strive to streamline your financial journey, ensuring compliance and maximizing returns. Our comprehensive approach covers tax planning, preparation, and filing, tailored to meet individual needs. Leveraging extensive expertise, we navigate the complexities of the tax landscape, offering personalized solutions that empower clients to make informed financial decisions. Choose SKANS Accountant for unparalleled personal tax accountant services in Markham, where your financial well-being is our top priority.

51. Rockey Singh Condos, a premier real estate destination, offers an unparalleled experience in the world of luxury living. Specializing in condos for sale, we take pride in curating exceptional spaces that redefine modern living. Nestled in the heart of vibrant communities, our residences embody sophistication and comfort. At Rockey Singh Condos, we understand the significance of finding the perfect home. Our commitment to excellence is epitomized in king’s calling homes in king city where each residence reflects the regality and opulence synonymous with the royal lifestyle.

52. With our dedicated support, you can elevate your analysis to a higher level. From data input to results interpretation, trust our tailored spss analyses services for precision and research excellence. Our expert team guarantees thorough statistical analyses, providing accurate insights.

53. Bella Bella

Experience the ultimate in online casino entertainment at 7Reels Casino Australia. With a wide range of exciting games, lucrative promotions, and a commitment to player satisfaction, we’re your go-to destination for thrilling gaming adventures Down Under. Join us today and elevate your gaming experience to new heights!

54. kevincompton

MSS & Associates is a paramount Law Firm In Karachi. For over three decades, the firm has established a strong footing by providing a wide range of services and catering to multiple practice areas. As a leading tax law firm Karachi, we understand the complexities of the tax system and the challenges businesses face when dealing with tax-related issues.

55. kevincompton

“Public speaking is the ability to deliver a speech and/or presentation to a live audience. Professional public speakers have talents and developed skills to provide an array of delivery methods. Get the best public speaking training from our professionals who are giving public speeches. Our courses will teach you the skills you need to effectively communicate your ideas with confidence, clarity, and charisma.”

56. I wish to start by saying thanks for your post. Your blog has the best stuff, and I had a great time reading it. It’s true that vocabulary in English has grown more complex in recent years; there are a lot of words with similar meanings, but it can be challenging to remember them all. Contact XYZ Dissertation Services for assistance. They provide complete Ph.D. dissertation assistance, from research design to final edits, with a team of seasoned academics. Make sure you succeed academically with their knowledge.

57. Great post! Your insights on sustainable living are eye-opening. The practical tips you shared make it easy for anyone to adopt eco-friendly habits. Thank you for inspiring positive change! Best Smm Panel

58. I am grateful that you have shared this. It was very enjoyable to read for me. It is of very high quality. This is not only informative but also keeps one very interested. I was unable to stop working on it until I had completed it.

59. If English words had jobs then it would be really difficult to tackle them. Many people from whom English is a secondary language, it would be much difficult to manage the job in easy manner. On the other hand, native English speakers/writers may be able to show the best performance.

60. I want to begin by expressing my gratitude for your post. You write the greatest information on your blog, which I enjoyed reading. English vocabulary has indeed become increasingly complex recently; many terms have similar meanings, but it can be difficult to recall them all. I looked it up and found this blog “Role of Product Management in Educational Technology” If anyone wants to know about the Role of Product Management I wish you read it.

61. Cuando se trata de obtener el más alto nivel de placer orgásmico de la manera más segura, contratar Putas En Moreno con experiencia puede ser la mejor opción.

62. If English words had jobs, “Liposuction Dubai” would be the vigilant guardian ensuring wellness in the bustling cityscape. Its role would be pivotal in promoting health and well-being, offering vital support and guidance to those seeking a healthier lifestyle. Just as each word contributes to the richness of language, this service plays a vital role in the well-being of the community by contributing to Liposuction Dubai.

63. If English words had jobs, “Shoulder Pain Treatment Dubai” would be the vigilant guardian ensuring wellness in the bustling cityscape. Its role would be pivotal in promoting health and well-being, offering vital support and guidance to those seeking a healthier lifestyle. Just as each word contributes to the richness of language, this service contributes to the Shoulder Pain Treatment Dubai playing a vital role in the well-being of the community.

64. Bella Bella

Amunra Casino invites you to embark on a journey of gaming discovery. With a diverse selection of games, including slots, table games, and live dealer options, Amunra offers an immersive and exciting gaming experience. The casino is known for its generous bonuses and promotions, providing players with plenty of opportunities to enhance their winnings. Featuring a user-friendly interface and responsive customer support, Amunra Casino ensures a smooth and enjoyable gaming adventure. Join us today and explore the secrets of gaming entertainment at Amunra!

65. Discover the ultimate indulgence at KCB Bakery, your go-to destination for an exquisite array of bakery delights and more. From delectable cakes to savory  Nimko, our offerings cater to diverse tastes. Elevate your tea-time experience with our crisp rusk, and savor the traditional charm of desi para. At KCB Bakery, we pride ourselves on delivering quality and authenticity in every bite. Visit us today and let your taste buds revel in a symphony of flavors, making KCB Bakery your haven for delightful treats.

66. Certainly! Ever wondered if English words had jobs? While they’re busy shaping language, we’ve got something special for your little ones—explore our collection of Baby Strollers in Dubai. Each stroller is designed to accompany your baby’s journey with comfort and style. Ready to roll into parenthood with a touch of elegance? Check out our range now!

67. I read This blog “If English words had Jobs” really this touch my heart. Carefully i read this blog and trust me I fell in love with this Blog. Author write this blog after lots of research and with emotionally connect.

68. The simplicity of those Mary Jane flats is charmingon cloud shoes. Sometimes less is more!

69. Lorenza Smith

A statement bb belt can be a conversation starter and a unique fashion accessory.

70. I’d like to start by expressing my appreciation for your post. Your blog consistently provides valuable information that I find enjoyable to read. Given the growing complexity of English vocabulary, where terms often have similar meanings, recalling them can be challenging. In my search, I came across a blog on “How to write a reflective essay.” For those interested in learning about reflective essays, I recommend visiting this website.

71. SMM Store

This post will help me set up my fresh concept. It has a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for providing this useful information to everyone. Also check my website. cheapest smm panel

72. SMM HEART

I go to see everyday some web sites and information sites to read articles or reviews, but this website gives quality based posts. Also visit my web page. smm reseller panel

73. Lively drift racing, beautiful images, unique driving feeling.

74. Jacob shinobu

As the CEO of a digital agency, I understand the importance of finding trustworthy partners for our projects. That’s why I’m thrilled to recommend WebMeridian https://webmeridian.net . They helped us with an eCommerce development project on Shopware, and their level of professionalism and attention to detail was exceptional. Working with them was a breeze, thanks to their effective communication and commitment to delivering high-quality work.

75. Thats really a nice and worthy post, this Stiglitz topic is very interesting. Keep it up with the good work, thanks for sharing this article 홈타이

76. 내 웹 사이트에서 비슷한 텍스트를 볼 수 있습니다. 토토사이트

77. This is such a great resource value of providing a quality resource for free 링크세상

78. safetoto5

It’s a game. Five dollars is free. Try it It’s not an easy game
    ->-> 토토사이트.COM

79. It’s a game. Five dollars is free. Try it It’s not an easy game
    ->-> 카지노사이트 .COM

80. It’s a game. Five dollars is free. Try it It’s not an easy game
    ->-> 토토사이트 .COM

81. I really love your blogs. It has undoubtedly inspired and educated me. For assignment help and essay writing, contact swipeup assignment for the top assignment helper online.