Dissecting the whole foreign language learning thing (and some tips)

by on February 19, 2016

A bilingual background

I must first of all say that I am truly blessed to have been born in Singapore, where local newspapers are published in our four official languages—English, Mandarin, Malay, and Tamil—and where learning a second language in school is mandatory. One’s assigned second language depends on one’s ethnicity. As an ethnic Chinese, I learned Mandarin. In Singapore, it is also possible to be formally taught a third language, for example, French or Spanish. I am not sure if being exposed to a bilingual environment helps with one’s cognitive abilities, but I have to say that learning English as my first language and Mandarin as my second language has certainly sown the seeds of passion for language acquisition. When I was in high school, a typical day involved being taught in English in all subjects other than Mandarin-Chinese class and, after school, speaking Mandarin to my family, except my paternal grandmother, with whom I spoke Teochew (a Southern Chinese language variety). While I cannot speak for all Singaporeans, this environment has certainly helped me make useful associations between languages. Here, I must give credit to my alma mater, Bukit Panjang Government High School, which had excellent English and Mandarin teachers, who nurtured me to achieve proficiency in both languages. Having studied in London for more than two years has also made me more adaptable to different varieties of English, as Singapore Standard English is occasionally different from Standard British English: for instance, we Singaporeans use ‘flip-flops’ and ‘slippers’ interchangeably whereas in the UK, ‘slippers’ are the thick footwear worn during winter. Pursuing an Economics with Economic History degree has made me wonder about the use of Mandarin in settings where economic jargon is required. For this reason, and also because of the fact that I want to maintain my Mandarin proficiency, I am attending Advanced Business Chinese classes at the Confucius Institute for Business London (CIBL) at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). I have never been formally trained in using the more technical terms in Mandarin and translation, and I really enjoy this more technical component of my Mandarin language learning.

Reason, goal, and determination

The idea of learning a foreign language first came to me in 2012, during my stint in military service. At that time, I knew that I was headed to LSE and thought that French might be useful in Western Europe. Hence, I started attending classes at the Alliance Française in Singapore. After a while, I just fell in love with this Romance language. I shall not mince words—it was tough, especially when most of my friends at the time did not speak it. Fortunately, things became better when I arrived in London in September 2013 and made several French-speaking friends, who were really encouraging and helpful. Some of them even invited me to their homes in Paris, Brest, and other beautiful French cities. Because of their kindness and my growing passion for the language, I told myself that I would work hard and sit for the highest level of French language proficiency test (le Diplôme approfondi de langue française [DALF] C2) by 2015. Having an end in mind was effective in generating some form of good pressure. Indeed, it was a constant, in fact daily, reminder that I needed to put in more effort so as to be one step closer to achieving the DALF C2 accreditation.

When I did homestays in the homes of my French friends, I had the luxury of speaking to their families in French, for hours. This has been one of the most helpful experiences, as I got used to local colloquialisms and commonly used phrases. It was also how I progressed from only speaking a smattering of memorised phrases to being fluent in the language. However, I must add that these homestays were timely (i.e. at the beginning of level B1); not too early, not too late. At that time, I had completed level A2 and was at the start of level B1. I would say that—and take my words with a pinch of salt—this is probably a good time to do homestays, because you know enough simple questions and key sentences to have a basic conversation, but not so many that you are only used to textbook phrases. In addition, I learned so much about French culture. I truly believe that learning a new language is really a passport to a whole new culture, and I stuck with learning French. As hyperpolyglot Tim Doner puts it: “language is the living testament to a culture’s history and world view, not a shiny trophy to be dusted off for someone’s self-aggrandisement.” It was indeed the rich intercultural communication that made me subconsciously want to just enjoy using the language, and achieving the DALF C2 last year was secondary as all the other intangible benefits are actually of even greater value. It is also important to bear in mind that an examination should not be the be-all and end-all, and language learners should always aim to take it a step further. I am happy to say that I have the opportunity to debate in French at the upcoming Mediterranean Model United Nations 2016 in Menton, France.

Starting on new languages, making associations, and practising

I do not know what came over me, but after having done French for about a year, I decided to start learning Japanese. I guess I saw it as a personal challenge. Grammatically, Japanese is different from English, Mandarin, and French. Initially, its use of particles in speech seemed new, but then I realised that Mandarin, or Chinese in general, also has particles to indicate relations of words within a sentence. It was just that I had not previously noticed this, having not learnt Mandarin in a linguistically technical way. For example, the sentence-final particle 吗 (ma) in Mandarin and か (ka) in Japanese both function as question markers, so putting them at the end of a sentence makes it a question. Making associations is always useful. I started to pay more attention to similarities between languages in terms of grammar, vocabulary, and sounds. I was astonished to find out that the French ‘u’ is pronounced the same way as the Mandarin ‘ü’ (as in 绿, lǜ). About a year after starting Japanese, I decided to take on yet another language—German. In my opinion, picking up more languages actually makes learning them easier. I must admit that I was slightly taken aback at first, as the fact that verbs go at the end of a clause took some getting used to.

However, as one grows accustomed to discovering ties between languages, one tends to pick up nuances amongst them more easily. As a beginner in Spanish, I have been trying to draw as many links as possible between it and French (and sometimes English). Spanish also has similar vowel sounds as Japanese, which is really helpful. Asian and European languages may function differently, but some sounds are in fact transferrable. Moreover, whilst learning German, I have enjoyed looking out for the origins of some English words. Compared to French, German sounds less nasal, and this has helped me because I always make a conscious effort to sound different in the two languages. German also has greater regional varieties (or dialects) than French and one cannot help but wonder about how key historical events must have had lasting impact on countries’ official languages. Apart from making associations, an obvious thing to do in order to improve would be talking to native speakers. I consider myself really fortunate because studying in central London, at one of the world’s most international universities, means that I get to meet people from across the globe. I have done a few homestays in Munich, Ulm, and Heidelberg, where I noticed how German dialects tend to sound completely different from Hochdeutsch, or Standard High German. Besides, I have enjoyed having conversations with my Japanese friends and, more recently, with my Spanish friends. Tandem sessions organised by the various universities in London and polyglot gatherings initiated by passionate individuals also occur from time to time, and such opportunities are cherished.

Sustaining your passion and enjoying it

Two main challenges in foreign language learning are having the courage to speak it from day one as well as sustaining one’s passion along the way. Apart from the economic value of learning a new language, possessing the intrinsic motivation and enjoying the language are also key to sticking it out. I have formed so many meaningful friendships in my foreign language-learning endeavours, and learnt so much about their cultures. I have also come across many intriguing moments, for instance at a polyglot gathering in Berlin, where a Slovenian was speaking to me in Taiwanese about his experiences living in Taiwan, to which I replied in Mandarin (as I was not yet fluent in Taiwanese). These are precious memories that I hold dear, and it is moments like this that keep me going in this endless pursuit and learning of even more foreign languages.

31 Responses to “Foreign language learning”

1. acforlessllc

jordan 7 retro numbered hat miami heat jordan 1 retro melo jordan 3 true bleu value nike youth isaiah wynn limited navy blue home jersey new england patriots nfl 76 vapor untouchable detroit lions jason hanson jersey

2. nike air max 2019 triple nero

nike dunk sky hi mesh nero adidas prossoator instinct indoor chicago bears newborn hat nike sb stefan janoski max noir pine mesh chaussures adidas tubular runner weave retro blanc adidas zx flux rot october rot

3. nike zoom hypershift

ralph lauren handbags purple green air jordan 1 black toe outfit prada brown leather bag billig nike free tr dam盲nner rot femmes nike flyknit air max on vente nike roshe run mens mid

4. linexcanton

new balance 996 blanc argent nike air max 2013 cinza e verde adidas stan smith yellow white disney ear hat embroidery silver purple mens air jordan retro 5 shoes air jordan retro 8 viola rosso

5. xisymbols

ray ban sunglasses rs 999 price adidas zx 750 australia grey gold mens nike zoom ascention shoes pink grey mens nike free trainer 5.0 shoes adidas superstar 2 light blau nike hyperdunk mens 2015

6. hbshbuick

dolce and gabbana mens belt sale mackage armada leather jacket pattern new balance 410 black and white trainers nhl jerseys chicago blackhawks 55 ben eager green jerseys charlotte hornets bogues jersey nike kobe 9 mid womens yellow grey

7. plusjulesmumm

nike flyknit racer legion blu jordan 11 svart and gul 2013 nike kyrie irving joggesko air jordan retro 5 rot himmelblau femminile nike zoom pegasus 32 bianca arancia kobe 11 flyknit dihommesions noir

8. bhcsboosters

nike zoom all out womens orange zdeno chara 33 boston bruins reebok premier alternate jersey small adidas tubular runner gold black girl nike air force 1 lunar noir argent digi camo nike air max dam盲nner laufen 2012 ray ban jackie ohh ii rb4098 black s…

9. mariusen

womens nike roshe run hyp orange white nike air max 95 lila orangen mujeres asics gel noosa tri 10 rojo azul kvinders asics gel kayano 21 gr氓 himmelbl氓 kvinners nike air max tn gr酶nn gul womens nike kyrie 2 orange white

10. asics gel kayano 17 womens red pink

nike shox tl3 kaufen nike air yeezy 2 gr眉n schwarz navy blue kentucky derby hat air jordan 9 grey nfl christian okoye black 35 kansas city chiefs nike name number logo pullover hoodie texas rangers hamilton jersey

11. zlotyul

beige ralph lauren t shirt isaiah thomas pistons jersey nike huarache tutti nero uk 7 nike mens melvin gordon limited green jersey los angeles chargers nfl 28 salute to service tank top adidas copa mundial hvid edition nike flyknit lunar 1 rose key

12. riffsurfers

air jordan melo gr氓 gr酶nn nike flyknit roshe run bianca oro adidas neo leisure gold white hombres nike air huarache azul gris hombres nike air max 87 sb rosado amarillo north face mens hybrid 3 in 1 jacket black

13. menn nike dunk high bright r酶d svart hook

mens polo zip sweater nike roshe run frgmt men rice white sky blue femminile under armour curry 4 nero nike air max rosa schwarz grau cleveland cavaliers hat nike hypervenom phelon tf footbtout blanc noir jaune

14. nike team usa 4 stephen curry white 2016 dream team stitched nba jersey

a buon mercato nike free in esecuzione scarpe femminile nike lunarglide 6 red sky blue nike kd vii big enfants vert nike air max tailwind 5 maschio in esecuzione scarpa quiet uk trainers nike lebron 15 low white metallic silver 2018 womens nike kansas…

15. femminile nike shox turbo 21 gituttio viola

nike air max 2017 naranja gris nike kd 9 mintgr酶n nike zoom ascention arancia rosa air jordan retro 14 grigio arancia nike kobe icon orangen rot mens asics gel noosa tri 8 black

16. wakunga

christian louboutin mary jane platform pump gold mackage dee leather jacket jacket how much does a tory burch purse cost nike free flyknit 5.0 grey gold mackage cybil coat michael kors jet set wallet dark dune game

17. kellyalberto

grey black womens air jordan 5 shoes how to open hermes h bracelet nike air force 1 puerto rico sko coach tote cornflower names air jordan 4 gray or grey walking shoes mizuno

18. dadees

nike air max 2015 alle r酶d highlights nike atlanta falcons 84 roddy white black elite alternate youth jersey bon march茅 nike tanjun racer femmes rose nfl pittsburgh steelers color rush limited antonio brown mens football jersey air jordan 3 eastbay tea…

19. v neck polo t shirts for hombres

nike free tr fit 4 nero rosa star wars cycling cap nike air max new arrival limited nike black womens jack butler jersey nfl 80 pittsburgh steelers therma long sleeve new jersey devils home jersey nike air max classic bw svart r酶d hvit xxi

20. red air max 90 mens

air jordan reveal green sky blue nike air max bw dam盲nner orangen grau air jordan retro 17 rosado amarillo nike sb stefan janoski max kvinders hvid lilla kvinners asics gel noosa tri 10 s酶lv rosa nike free run 2 black pink

21. ray ban jackie ohh ii celebrities

nike lebron 15 purple germany nike roshe run yeezy grigio nero ray ban wayfarer rb2140 handmade in italy travis mathew trip l hat nike cortez mr cartoon sale air jordan 1 retro blanc mettoutic argent midnight marine

22. boluposter

hermes dogon wallet price nike air force 1 puerto rico sko coach legacy backpack vacuum adidas ace 15.1 fg ag silver green nike air max 90 hyperfuse volt leather belt armani

23. thegillssell

nike air max 95 dyn fw poison gr酶nn womens asics gel hyper 33 white sky blue herre nike air max 87 sb sort lilla nike air max lunar 1 kvinners oransje himmelen bl氓 air jordan retro 1 kvinners r酶d lilla nike air max thea kvinners lilla bl氓

24. glennloovens

air jordan future prm jordon nike shox deliver black new balance m1500ct4 hvid cyan gr酶n korpisalo joonas 70 jersey youth nike roshe 7c zdeno chara 33 boston bruins reebok premier alternate jersey small

25. enventsurvey

nike zoom structure 19 kvinners oransje s酶lv air jordan retro 1 womens grey black femminile asics gel noosa tri 9 verde cielo blu nike air pegasus 92 gr眉n blau baylor bears zephyr ncaa black white competitor cap nike air max 90 carved argent rose

26. nike air max tn noir and or game

youth nike cleveland browns 53 joe schobert limited brown rush vapor untouchable nfl jersey nike free run flyknit khaki womens nike lunarglide 6 green black air jordan retro 30 bianca maschiota verde ray ban original wayfarer brown minnesota timberwolv…

27. damian lillard all star jersey

adidas prossoator top 15 ricky ray jersey place adidas projoator amarillo negro hombres verde converse high tops north face 3 in 1 sale lila and teal converse

28. burmamaritime

nike air max thea maschio bianca nike air max tailwind 7 schwarz rot nike air presto essential black gold derek carr color rush jersey nike air max tailwind 7 gull oransje coach bennett satchel

29. haerinonghyup

prada tote gardener used cars mulberry effie satchel red flag nike air max 90 womens purple white hermes enamel bracelet price nike air force 1 puerto rico sko coach legacy crossbody king

30. automotoracing

nike roshe run nero dark magnet grigio granite nero nike free run 3 kvinders gr酶n gr氓 nike free rn olive vert ohio nike lebron soldier 10 cleats for salg ga air jordan 6 low metalleic silber nike foamposite blanc and rainbow

31. floornhome

hombres ralph lauren flag polo caqui gris nike free 3.0 flyknit dark obsidian blanc led pistons 4 joe dumars white throwback stitched nba jersey nike air max 90 hyperfuse neon amarillo zapatos carolina azul nike free adidas rose zapatos